Low-fat, oil and refined sugar free!
These healthy blueberry muffins hit the spot. Warm out of the oven these muffins leave little to be desired – and without the oil and refined sugar, you can feel good about making these for yourself or your family.
Whole grains and juicy blueberries up the nutrition and make them a great healthy snack or light breakfast.
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup oats (quick or rolled is fine)
- 2 t. baking powder
- ½ t. baking soda
- ¼ t. salt
- ½ cup nondairy milk mixed with 1 t. apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup maple syrup (agave may be substituted in whole or part)
- ⅓ cup applesauce
- juice of ½ of a lemon
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a muffin pan with liners or spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Combine dry ingredients and whisk together.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk with vinegar. Add maple syrup, applesauce, lemon juice and vanilla and stir well.
- Add the wet to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in blueberries.
- Spoon into muffin cups, filling them about ¾ full.
- Bake for 17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.